A man, a plan: Tim Flannery

FLANNERY by Alex Szalay_RGB

Correct me if I’m wrong, but my oenophile eyes and 30/20 vision (for reals, I have crazy-good eyesight) tell me that’s a bottle of Wolfblass in the photo above, nestled carefully in a grassy knoll. Oh, and that guy next to the bottle of wine is Tim Flannery — environmental author extraordinaire. I can confirm that this guy loves his Australian reds, too, because I sat down with him recently in Toronto and he ordered a glass of shiraz, apologizing for the long-distance selection. He then apologized even more when he ordered a plate of steak frites with it, insisting that he rarely eats meat when in North America. I was dubious about these menu selections, but I must say, by the end of our lunch date I was heartily convinced he is a man who cares about the planet and is very engaged in doing something about it.

His new book is called Now or Never, and it’s out in stores now. I scarfed it down in about two hours because he really is that good at conveying all the scientific this-and-that behind global warming to people like me, who can’t even explain why leaves turn red in the fall (I had to ask my mother, who has four science-related degrees and understands how chlorophyll works). He also provides incredibly concrete solutions that pretty much every single politician in every single country should be adopting immediately. Of course, even if you haven’t read Now or Never, you may know Flannery by his previous book, The Weather Makers, which was a best-seller and led to major environmental policy changes in Australia; he also chairs the Copenhagen Climate Council and is promoting the upcoming UN treaty negotiations that start in December, which is very, very soon (um, Harper? Did you hear that? It’s time to get yer ass out of the tar sands and over to Denmark!).

“When you’ve got as complex an issue as climate change, where no one has all the answers,” Flannery told me, “an ongoing dialogue is essential.”

Indeed, Flannery is such a fan of dialogue that he took a remarkably different approach to Now or Never. Rather than simply publish his own views on the challenges of global warming, he invited a handful of critics to respond to his work. In the end, readers get 107 pages of his initial argument, followed by 45 pages of critique from Bill McKibben, Richard Branson, Peter Singer, Fred Krupp and Peter Goldmark, Gwynne Dyer and Alanna Mitchell, with a final reply from the author. The idea was to make the book resemble a 19th-century political tract, at least in format: a concise, pointed essay meant to both enlighten and provoke readers.

“I felt that this was an important book to get out in advance of the Copenhagen meetings,” Flannery said. “Progress is slow right now, and that scares me. I must say, I wake up in the small hours of the night occasionally thinking, ‘What are we going to do on Dec. 19 if we’re faced with a suboptimal outcome?’ ”

He certainly didn’t seem to have high hopes for Canada, either: “This is as bad as a developed country gets… Harper has no friends internationally in this anymore — he used to have [former U.S. president George W.] Bush and [former Australian prime minister John] Howard and they’re gone now, so it’s a real concern … It’s in the government’s interest for the Alberta tar sands to continue, but the rest of the world can’t afford it … The tar sands represent one end of the hydrocarbon spectrum — the really dirty end — and other countries will eventually look at Canada and say, ‘If they, as a wealthy country, can get away with destroying their environment and producing highly polluting petroleum, then why can’t we?’ It’s a corrupting influence on the world.”

Flannery’s words sound harsh, but he also admits there are good things happening here too; part of Now or Never, for instance, looks at an alternative energy system called pyrolysis, of which Vancouver-based firm Dynamotive is one of the world’s leading developers. There are also a number of carbon-neutral or even carbon-positive housing developments being constructed on the West Coast and in Toronto, not to mention countless Canadian environmental NGOs, charities, offsetting organizations, wind and solar companies and more.

“It’s easy to get disillusioned in the West, but the world is moving and there’s still hope,” says Flannery. “Look at what people have done in the banking sector — how we’ve reigned in some of the greediest people in the world and said to them, ‘This isn’t good enough anymore.’ If we can do that for finance, we can do it for greenhouse gases, and we will.”

But what do you think? Is this really achievable, or has Flannery had a few too many glasses of shiraz?

P.S. Exciting news: Green as a Thistle will be in Copenhagen for the first week of the climate negotiations!! Stay tuned for more details on where to find my reports!

14 Responses to A man, a plan: Tim Flannery

1. JulieG says:

I’ve got such an eco-crush on Tim Flannery. He treads that fine line between optimism and realism, it never fails to inspire me to real action.

The format of Now or Never is because the original essay was published in a ‘magazine’ called the Quarterly Essay (Issue 31 on this page). Each issue is a long-format essay, then at the back it has responses to the previous issue’s essay. Flannery has expanded it for his book, but if you like the format then the Quarterly Essay is well worth checking out. Ian Lowe (head of Australian Conservation Foundation) has done a similar thing with his essay called “A Big Fix” about climate change policies, and Guy Pearce has tackled the mining industry’s lies to the public in “Quarry Vision”.

Australia is lucky to have such strong thinkers on climate change – if only we’d pay more attention to them!

2. Katie says:

Could you explain who Harper is? I get he is a high ranking official from the context, but who is he exactly?

Katie, Stephen Harper is the prime minister of Canada… sorry, my blog is a bit Canada-centric at times. I’ve hyperlinked it now, thanks!

4. EcoYogini says:

Ouuu- I am so looking for that book! sounds like a phenomenal read, and like you I need something straightforward and easy to read for this stuff.

I’m also excited for you to be at the conference!!!! YAY! The sad part is that most Canadians voted him in… and that he is doing BETTER in the polls recently! blegh. Sometimes I wish we had a more American system, so you’d get more people voting for the leader Federally as opposed to their provincial reps- which I know so many people here vote for the person and not the party.

but there you go. Nova Scotia is now an NDP government, which is interesting to be a part of! :)

5. stephen ottridge says:

Before you get too carried away with Flannery and his views on AGW, I suugest you read the work of Abdussamatov the Russian space scientist.

6. tmj99 says:

Families for a Clean Tennessee Video Hits the Streets!

VIEW THE VIDEO NOW!

Families for a Clean Tennessee released a video reinforcing a poll conducted
    by Insider Advantage. The poll uncovered that more than 80% of voters
    oppose dumping nuclear waste in ordinary commercial landfills.

The poll also uncovered the following:

* 90% believe nuclear waste should be disposed of in long-term isolation
    facilities.
    * More than 75% of likely voters-both Democrats and Republicans– are more
    likely to support a candidate for Governor that is opposed to nuclear
    dumping and the BSFR program.
    * Nearly 60% are more likely to support a legislative candidate that is
    opposed to nuclear dumping and the BSFR program.
    * More than 50% have stated they would actively work for the election of any
    candidate from either party that opposes the dumping of nuclear waste in
    Tennessee landfills.
    * More than 50% support Senate Bill 687, and more than 60% are more likely
    to vote for candidates that support Senate Bill 687.
    * 63.5% believe that under no circumstance should nuclear waste be dumped in
    Tennessee.

A copy of the poll has been sent to every legislator in Tennessee along with
    a pledge asking them to support ending the practice of Bulk Survey for
    Release.

VIEW THE VIDEO NOW!

7. Another great book suggestion – thanks. I am looking forward to reading about your experiences in Copenhagen. Good luck! Laura

8. Filzah N says:

Hi, I just started reading your book Sleeping Naked is Green and I really love your idea! Its a really good book.

9. Jess says:

Sounds like a great book. I’ll add it to my ‘to read’ list.

Congrats on going to Copenhagen! I’ve never encountered such a bike friendly city before. I wish we were that cyclist friendly in my neck of the woods.

10. Odis Dicocco says:

We have used some many brands of eco bags from Target, Walmart, Kmart and everywhere else that are selling these green bags. But, for the last month I have settled down to one type of reuseable bag. Why? Because we are happy with the way the eco bag can fold into a small cute tote. We carry them anywhere and use these Green Supply bags whenever we needed to put things.

11. Sherry says:

Vanessa, I devoured Tim Flannery’s Now or Never two weeks ago. It woke me up and really inspired me. I went hunting for more, and found your book, which I am now currently reading! Anyway, Tim Flannery came to Edmonton and gave a talk, and I went, and even asked a question – how can I inspire others? I am so inspired by him and by you! Thank you. Now we just need to wake up Alberta!

12. We love the chlorophyll tablets information on this site.