A trip to the Orretts’ organic farm

Just wanted to share some photos with everybody from my trip to this amazing organic farm about two hours north-east of Toronto; Jacob and I went there this weekend to visit a friend and spent most our time picking raspberries, swinging in hammocks, playing with the dogs, brushing the horses, inspecting all the vegetables, going for hikes, miraculously dodging the persistent rain and generally having a wholesome, nutritious, sustainable time — definitely worthy of Wellingtons and pigtails. Oh, but one tip for potential raspberry pickers: do NOT wear a white shirt.

DSCN5128

Me crouching by the entrance to the farm.

DSCN5117

Craig marching through the fields.

DSCN5112

Garlic drying out on the back porch.

DSCN5160

Me and one of the work horses.

DSCN5181

Canadian Gothic — our photo shoot in the barn. Does this make a good Christmas card or what? Watch out, Sears Portrait Studio!

1928_Grant_Wood_American_Gothic-wR400

Here’s the original, for comparison.

DSCN5190

Raspberry bushes! That’s another friend of ours, Caroline, in the background. She actually got full just from eating raspberries.

DSCN5197

How yummy do these look? No pesticides or GMOs here…

DSCN5244

Standing in the river. Somehow, the novelty of being able to stand in water and not get wet is going strong, even at 30 years of age.

15 Responses to A trip to the Orretts’ organic farm

1. Hello! Is amazing what you do. I hope read you book, but in Portugal the books are very expensive for a student. I have one blog in Portuguese (http://umaverdadeinconvenienteparaomundo.blogspot.com/); visit my blog (if you have time).
    Good luck for your journey and for you :D

2. EcoYogini says:

YUM!!! Your post about visiting the cascades TP plant inspired me to try to visit our municipal compost-recycling place… if I can. I know it’s only sort of related… but you know. :)
    Also- i wrote a quick review of your book on my blog today, kept it short and sweet since Crunchy’s doing her book club, but thought I’d let you know. And as predicted I read 60% in one sitting. It was that awesomely good. :)

3. Hellcat13 says:

Those are some sweet-ass rubber boots.

4. haya says:

those are cute wellies!!

in addition to the not wearing of a white shirt while picking raspberries, i would like to add the advice of wearing something with longish sleeves. raspberry bushes are fully of pricklies!
    looks like a lovely outing. i’m spending the upcoming weekend at my boyfriend’s family farm and plan to do similar things. can’t. wait.

5. Gustavo Santos says:

Hello! :)

I blame you for messing with my eco-conscience!! The portuguese translation of “Sleeping Naked is Green” arrived recently to bookstores here in Portugal and I tought the title was so weird that I started reading it randomly at the shop. Eventually I bought it and been reading it for the last week, finishing it yesterday. Now I am big fan of Green as a Thistle hehe.

Looking forward to learn more from your new posts!

Cheers!

6. vanessa i’m dying to read your book but the new york city public library system doesn’t have a copy – and that’s just crazy!

7. Lucas A says:

I am so thankful to live in a place where Raspberries grow wild! ;)

looks fun, great work.

8. Lara S. says:

Since your friends are the ones with the farm, you could recommend them to read this post by Fake Plastic Fish, especially the link “HowTo: Store Fruits and Vegetables. Tips and tricks to extend the life of your produce without plastic”

9. stephen ottridge says:

I live in Vancouver and grow my own raspberries in my back yard. Other than pruning and tying up they need no maintenance, 100% organic. Raccoons don’t eat them, nor do slugs. I had 4 friends over for dinner tonight, the raspberries we ate would have cost $30 in the store and they were fresh picked this moning. We eat them with vanilla ice cream and pour some sloe gin licquer on top.

10. All I really wanted to say was that I heart your rain boots.

11. Andrea says:

I LOVE it!! Too funny!! The farm picture cracks me up :)

12. eaevansmd says:

The Canadian Gothic is great! The tongue-in-cheek expressions make it.

I’m visiting Toronto next week, and would love to visit a farmer’s market, but it seems like they’re all open on Thursday, the day I’m leaving. Do you know of any markets or even just local foodie places to go to? I get there Monday.

13. That is awesome! I am going to try that!

14. Come check us out having fun farming on St. John. go to botanicalvillas.com.

15. Sahil says:

To know more about organic farming and various different farming techniques, you can visit http://www.transtutors.com