From nothingness comes fruit crumble

Do you ever come back from a huge grocery run, restock your fridge and cupboards, then try to make a great homemade meal and find that nothing you bought actually goes together? This is an ongoing problem of mine, which explains why my dinners are technically healthy but usually consist of bizarre combinations (asparagus and avocado on red lentils, hummus with raw veggies and a side of pasta, etc.). And breakfast — well, that’s even worse. My breakfast every single day is usually granola and yogurt with some kind of fruit because I can’t be bothered to cook eggs, but I feel like toast on its own is insufficient, and I don’t know how to make a proper oatmeal.

Anyway, this culminated in a visit from Meghan, in which she scavenged the depths of my pantry and made use of some fruit I’d just acquired from this guy named Ezra who runs a company called Fruit4Thought, which delivers apples, plums, nectarines and bananas to busy Bay Street lawyers and collections agencies up in the suburbs where there are no decent restaurants within walking distance, so employees have a healthy alternative to food courts and vending machines (I was interviewing him for the Post, so he gave me a box full of about 25 different fruits).

Meg managed to make a fruit crumble, which was delicious — although I sneakily added some butter and maple syrup after she left — and it’s a recipe I think I could replicate and even tinker with pretty easily. You can see her post for the details; in the mean time, here’s the video:

8 Responses to From nothingness comes fruit crumble

1. PeyPey says:

Love it! Fruit crumbles are always so easy and tastey! Where do you guys find coconut flour? Healthfood stores?

2. I just had this horrible image of you slathering the crumble in a layer of butter. I think this needs to be a regular installment of MLitK: Kitchen Scrap Creations. It’s thrifty, it’s green and will always be deelish.

3. Bill the Galactic Hero says:

I love fruit crumble and make it all the time when I have a surfeit of fruit. Alas, my version although tasty is not especially healthful as it has a plenitude of butter and brown sugar in the topping.

4. kibbles says:

You guys are having WAY too much fun! :D I love the video and I’m definitely going to make this crazy crumble some time.

5. kim eadie says:

this is awsome. I’m in the middle of your book and start to experience a brain change in the way I’m seeing things and now I come to your actual blog and it is like a continuation of the book.

You rock!

6. margaret says:

just bought SNiG yesterday. can’t wait to read it! i’m very impressed with the idea, and you really are an inspiration to me (i’m far too cynical for my own good).

keep up the awesome work!

7. SpriteSuzi says:

V, I just found out about your blog in a post from GrrlScientist. Very nice – I’m looking forward to reading more!

Oatmeal is easy! Buy a good, old fashioned style oatmeal. Ignore the quick cooking stuff. Put 1/2 cup of oatmeal in a heavy pot with 3/4 cup of water. I start the timer as soon as I start the heat, but my stove heats really fast. Anyway, cook it for 5 minutes. Now, shut off the heat, put the cover on the pot, and let it sit for another 5 minutes. What you end up with is a nice textured grain, NOT wallpaper paste. Add a bit of brown sugar or honey, some cinnamon, some plain yogurt…yum. I always have mine with fruit. Chop an apple or a pear into the the pot before you cook. If you want raisins or dried cranberries, add those before cooking, they will plump up nicely! Frozen blueberries go in before cooking, too. A banana added with the cinnamon and yogurt is wonderful. Experiment with all the fruits you like, nuts, etc.

Hope you like it this way. I think it’s really tasty, and it’s MUCH less expensive than granola.

Enjoy!

8. If you take the proper time to craft some superb Facebook
    posts, then obtain the expressed word out simply by passing it during your Twitter stream.