11 Responses to Logos and mascots and branding, oh my!

1. The logos may bight the design big one- but I must admit, if I saw that Foodland Ontario mascot at my local veggie food fare, I would most definitely give it a hug and snap a pic.

As for the logos- it’s totally the bureaucrats- when you have 35 levels and 26 rounds of approvals to go through, I can most certainly guarantee the end product will look nothing like what the designer intended. Back in my past life when I worked in advertising, a government account that will remain nameless (OTMP) was my client. Nightmare.

2. EcoYogini says:

wow- the new fairtrade logo is kinda cool, but really I prefer their old one… it was very unique, very easily recognizable. This one looks like it will be dated in about two years.

Recently I’ve been reading about company’s ripping off legitimate logos- like having a bunny, but not THE leaping bunny for no animal cruelty and the such. It’s so tricky these days to know that you’ve made the right choice that having clear, simple logos can help.

haha, i really like the Lord of the Rings Ent mascot though… lol

3. Anna says:

The mascots are scary indeed. It’s nice that you post about a topic like this, because I was thinking about the European/German labels recently. Want to take a look?

Ignore the awkward language, just take a look at the different pictures. The most annoying thing to me is, that there are so many different labels and even though I was working in that area before, I continue to discover new labels. Some of them are bound to different restrictions regarding food production, but some of them are basically just invented by companies to give their products a green touch. I think it is easy to get fooled by that, when you shop in a regular supermarket instead of an organic one. And now, every good organic product has to wear three labels at least: the European label, the German (or state) label and some other label that guarantees that it was produced with higher standards than what the state label requires, because honestly, the ecological standards defined by the state are just ridiculous.
    In the end, your head is aching by watching five different labels on your product and not knowing what they all stand for. Why can’t there just be one, summing it all up?

4. anonymus says:

That’s my favourite label:

5. Heather says:

Allison Carter’s designs are amazing, and I actually think the foodland Ontario mascot is nice. And you’re right, I never noticed that the USDA food stamp thing had a little farm thing on it. Honestly though, I don’t think it matters, although it wouldn’t hurt to make more exciting logos, as long as there’s an indication that somethings certified organic.

6. Emma says:

That walking tree better stay FAR away from me.

I think the logos will start to improve as the competition goes up. Why care about looks when you don’t need to? Without another company stepping up against them, the branding loses importance – but they’re all forgetting what initially draws people to a product or service. Branding is everything and they’ll figure that one out soon enough :)

7. Martin says:

The Fair Trade logo rocks and I always thought that the USDA logo at least had recognition going for it. Some of these logos need to be basic enough to work on bulk commodity packaging that is printed in developing countries.

The mascots are pretty lame but it would be awesome to see the tree and the asparagus get into a fight at a ballgame. My money is on the tree.

8. Whitney Deane says:

As the deadline comes up for labelling organic food an interview that was done with Mischa Popoff comes up (featured in National Post, Macleans, Rutherford Show, and I know him from the Okanagan). If we are going to label foods with this hideous label should be actually be screening them properly – rather than just paying top dollar for something that’s really not following all the organic standards. Rather than buy something labelled organic – get to know your local farmer. Labels mean nothing when there’s not standards!

By the way had a great time reading your book. One of the few freebies from a PR person that I liked (and wasn’t a downer like all the other political books we get!)

Whitney Deane
    Talk Show Producer
    The Rutherford Show, Corus Radio
    CHQR 770 AM/ CHED 630 AM

9. Kimberly says:

I love the little rainforest froggy logo, but the others are completely lame. Keep in mind this is coming from an reluctantly-admitted rainbow and sparkle lover. Love the blog, this is my first time reading it. I picked up your book yesterday and I’m about half way through! Great stuff, love your writing style and sense of humor. The title is perfect, of course the word ‘naked’ caught my eye first ha ha! My brain went, “naked and green. Hmmmm. Naked! Ooooh!”

10. Kimberly says:

11. ties wedding says:

Some good information in your post. Thanks for the pleasant read!