Pics from the SNiG launch in Toronto!

OK, I promise I’ll stop droning on about my book — but not quite yet! Maybe by September. Yeah. Anyway, for those who are not yet sick of all this retched self-promotion, take a look at some of the photos from my recent book launch at the Libra Lounge in Toronto. It was a complete success, almost to the point of being disturbing — everyone from ex-boyfriends and high school teachers to former lifeguard colleagues and journalism school classmates showed up, and I only had about 30 seconds with each of them before I had to move on to the next. A friend of mine warned that this is what weddings are like, but with more politics involved. Yeesh. Anyway, here you go:
Grass Pots

My mum made these centrepieces as a nod to the cover design (and no, those are NOT my legs on the book cover)

My high-school English teacher Ms. Carrier, alongside my mum and sister

My high-school English teacher Ms. Carrier, alongside my mum and sister

I had to make a quick speech...

I had to make a quick speech... (that's Meghan on the far left)

... and sign some books

... and sign some books

It was PACKED in there! I didn't move, eat or drink for two hours (then again, I kind of didn't move, eat or drink for my whole challenge. either)

It was PACKED in there! I didn't move, eat or drink for two hours (then again, I kind of didn't move, eat or drink for my whole challenge, either)

One of the best surprises of the evening: My aunt came in from Hong Kong for a visit (I only briefly admonished her for the carbon cost of that). My dad is there on the left, too.

That’s it! A big thanks to my amazing publicity team at Wiley, especially Erin and Caroline, for making the night such a success. In the mean time, I’ll be at Paragraphe Books in Montreal, on McGill College Avenue, this coming Monday, May 25th, at 3 p.m. — so if you’re in Montreal, drop by! I’ll also be coming down to New York around July 15th to be on a panel called Greening Gotham (more info to come) and am always in Toronto for all your signing/interviewing needs!

All right, enough blathering about myself for now. Carry on!

9 Responses to Pics from the SNiG launch in Toronto!

1. Bill the Galactic Hero says:

Congratulations on the successful book signing. My copy just arrived from Amazon the other day. It’s next on my reading list after I finish A Nation of Farmers. All the books for which I placed advanced orders are showing up at once!

2. Alison says:

That must have been a fantastic evening for you — congratulations! (Those center pieces would make for an interesting touch at a wedding.)

3. mark says:

congrats, vanessa! wish i could have been there, even if for only 30 seconds.

4. It was an awesomely exciting event. I feel like that Meghan character from your book would have really enjoyed it. She probably would have shown up in pink, with a bright orange jacket slung over her purse. She likely would have appeared in the corners of a couple of photos- just enough to spot the pink and probably would have been standing next to Jen of SheDoesTheCity in both photos.

The only thing better than the party is the book itself!

5. Oh and I loved that Ms. Carrier was there… and even more that she recognized me, even though I was not a prized pupil like you. I did read Jane Eyre cover to cover and in grade 11, that has to count for something.

6. jadekitty says:

Coming to St.John’s, NL any time soon?

7. steph says:

Hi Vanessa,

I received your book for my birthday (May 1st!) and I finished it just now. It was so fun reading about all of your experiences over the year. Congrats on the launch and best wishes for future books!

Stephanie

8. katehopeeden says:

Congrats on the book! I was in Toronto last week and my friend gave me a copy for my birthday and I LOVE it!! I was sitting on her porching drinking coffee (with “creme” which we don’t have here in Texas) and reading your book and laughing!
    Really, really great!
    ~K

9. Karine says:

I finally got your book for my birthday and I loved it! It is quite different from all other green books. Didn’t take me long to finish it! Congratulations!