Three things I love about Meghan’s sprouting video

My friend Meghan, a fashionista-turned-nutritionista, has been posting lots of How-To videos on her blog, Making Love in the Kitchen. Most of them I just like to watch, rather than actually attempt myself (I’m thinking specifically of the sauerkraut demo that requires 10 minutes of massaging cabbage and the chicken soup that involves raw bones and scum). But her most recent video, called Sprout, Sprout, Let It All Out, is very cool. You can watch it here:

There are three things about this video that I love:

1. The costume changes. On most cooking shows, if the host makes something that requires a few hours to sit or cool or whatever, she will have conveniently made a previous batch ahead of time to pull out of the fridge (and will usually say something like, “… I have one ready, here,” and suddenly presto! It’s done and there’s no actual waiting required. But Meghan has clearly produced this sprouting demo over the span of three or four days, and we get lots of variation in her wardrobe and hairstyles to prove it. Actually, I think there’s a direct correlation between the growth of her sprouts and the curliness of her hair.
  2. The I’ve Been Re-Used sticker on her kitchen soap dispenser (which I designed, and which you can order online over here. Stick them on anything you refill at the bulk store and let the world know you’re not consuming more plastic).
  3. The Sprouting! It actually does seem very easy and it’s probably the most nutritious, eco-friendly thing a Canadian girl can make in the comfort of her own home during this heinous winter.

Do you guys make your own sprouts, too? Any favourite beans or seeds?

11 Responses to Three things I love about Meghan’s sprouting video

1. Emma says:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a “Fancy sprouting machine” before….I thought you could just pick them from the ground/Loblaws? OH how much learning I need to do!

2. JAM says:

I soaked my sprouting seeds (mung beans from Whole Foods) overnight and they are hanging out now – I’m excited about the prospect of sprouts – I’ve never done this before. I don’t have any “health” food stores near me though, so I don’t know where to get other kinds of seeds for sprouting – maybe a regular seed catalog? This was a really good video, thanks for posting it.

3. yarrow says:

mung beans, lentils, and sunflower seeds all make fantastic sprouts! we almost always have a jar or two of something going on the kitchen counter. we just use a mason jar with a screen lid (propped upside down over a plate), and daily rinsing till they’re ready. very tasty & fresh, especially in the depths of winter.

4. Lara S. says:

This is great for people who only eat raw food! My brother used to do this a lot years before…

5. Dahlia says:

I LOVE sprouting! My boyfriend is beginning to think that I’ve become a maniac. We even went two weeks without grocery shopping this winter because I had made too many sprouts.
    The seeds are a wee bit more expensive where I buy them… 12$ for brocoli seeds, so I haven’t tried those yet, but lentils are definitely a favorite, as are chick peas, and any legume actually (just remember that all legumes have to be cooked).
    Wheat is nice…. ish, the roots are quite stringy, so I would recommend not letting wheat grow too long, or trim the rootlets before eating.
    But I think my favorite is daikon (you know the really expensive sprouts you find in “Japanese” salads in sushi places? It’s daikon sprouts!)
    And seriously, don’t go for fancy sprouting gadgets. I couldn’t find any mosquito netting (fine metal or plastic mesh is a little better than cheesecloth because it airs out more easily and won’t get mouldy) so I bought a sprouting jar from the natural food store to use until I found mesh…. the Mason jar is better. The bought jar works fine for large beans and seeds, but not so good for fine mustard seeds.
    Oh and… sprouting flax seeds! But not in a jar: flax is a different can of worms, but sprouting makes the omega3 more readily digestible.

6. Meghan says:

Thanks! Glad you liked it. And love that the wardrobe change appreciation came before the sprouting appeal.

7. SMG says:

So can the seeds be ordered online somewhere?

8. Joanna says:

I sprout broccoli seeds at my house, we love them on toasted bread with tomatoes, aged cheddar, salt and pepper and a sprinkle of good balsamic!

9. Sonya says:

Indians in India have been sprouting very kind of lentil and seed and eating it as a part of their main diet for centuries. Typically, you would create a salad out of any sprouted mung, masoor, black garbanzo, white garbanzo beans and eat it as a side with the main meal.

After sprouting, add diced raw tomato, cucumber, and onion, lemon juice, salt, and chilli powder.

Alternatively, you would cook the sprouted beans/lentils with onions, tomatoes, garlic, ginger, and spices.

Buy your lentils and beans in the Indian grocery stores. Much cheaper than the mainstream stores.

sp

10. Jerilyn says:

I enjoyed your video and that you did this in your home made it personable. Thank you for taking the time to do this video and to share it. Jerilyn

11. Rupel says:

Thank you so so so much for this post. Im currently looking for this kind of post. http://www.novakrealty.com