Can I offset getting lost? (Day 337)…

road signs

Today, I move. It’s happening right now, folks, as you read. I’ve got a man who recycles bikes, a writer from Treehugger.com, a random greenie, my Dad and a few other people helping me out — should be interesting. But in just a couple days, I’m leaving my pretty house in the hands of my friend and sister, and heading up to a cottage for about a month to write a book.

The owners have given me directions, which is nice of them, but when directions are more than three sentences long, I’m already lost. If the piece of paper says, “Turn right after the lights,” I’ll think of a million different ways to interpret that: Does that mean right after? Like that little alleyway right after the intersection? Or turn right, comma, after the lights? Or maybe the lights refer to the lights of this crosswalk here, not the traffic lights way up ahead? Or…” well, you get what I mean.

Often, I’ll try to be good and look up the route on MapQuest or Google Maps in advance, but because I don’t have a printer, I end up sketching it on a piece of scrap paper. Then usually I look at it later and see I’ve just drawn the railroad tracks and a parkette instead of the north and south highways — or even just North and South.

Point being: I get lost. But getting lost not only sucks for me (or the poor soul in the passenger seat), but for the environment.

All that driving around in circles means a lot of carbon being emitted, and for no reason. So to make sure I keep my polluting ways to a minimum for this trip, I’m going to make sure I have a good map in front of me and extra-super-detailed directions (and no, I’m not going to buy a new map — I’ll just steal one from my parents).

Photo courtesy of Johnny Blood on Flickr

10 Responses to Can I offset getting lost? (Day 337)…

1. LG Adam says:

You don’t need a map, just go with your instinct! Maybe that’s why I’m always lost but I’m walking so environmentally it’s fine.

2. molly says:

I think I’ll try this one myself. I get lost unless I have accurate, detailed directions. Turn in four or five blocks doesn’t work for me. Also, for me, stopping the minute I think I’m lost instead of driving a few miles more to be sure I’m really really lost. Thanks for the idea.

3. arduous says:

Wait. This little cottage still has internet, right?

4. blah says:

Why are you going up to a cottage to write a book? Is it a solitude thing?

5. Beth Terry says:

Don’t forget you can always stop and ask directions from people on the street rather than driving around and around in circles. Happy writing. Is the book about your Green As A Thistle project or something else?

6. May says:

I guess this should make me feel better about all the times I’ve gotten lost on bus routes and on foot…. but when that happens I *still* wish I had a car because it would take me a shorter time to find myself again (or so my imagination is sure to tell me).

Good luck with the move!

7. Whatcha writing aboot?

8. Emmie says:

I get lost so easily that I try to entice people familiar with new areas to accompany me. Good luck with your move–I will be making one soon as well.