Enough stuff for fluff (Day 336)…

sweater stone

It’s so persistently cold these days that I’m basically just wearing the same three sweaters over and over again. Unfortunately, some of them are starting to look pretty sad. Aside from being all misshapen and lumpy, they’re accumulating lots of those annoying little pilly bits.

Well, devoted reader Anna-Maria was kind enough to forward me the link to this thing called a Sweater Stone, which removes fluff from your wool, cashmere, angora or whatever type sweater. (Actually, she said “jumper”, so I’m guessing she’s British — those folks across the pond always have way better names for things, like pudding, regardless of whether or not dessert is actually pudding, and Spotted Dick, a kind of pudding made from cake, custard and raisins. Whenever I go up to Whitburn to visit my dad’s parents, I always order “Spotted Dick, hold the spots.” But I digress.)

Anyway, it’s made from all-natural pumice stone and means there’s no need to take it to the drycleaners or bother with rolls of tape.

However, in my case, ordering one of these means a fair amount of carbon in terms of shipping, so I’m going to be extra eco-friendly here and simply pick off those pesky bits of fluff by hand or with my tweezers.

16 Responses to Enough stuff for fluff (Day 336)…

1. Julia says:

Most of the time, at least where I have lived in the past, I was able to find pumice stones in the footcare section of drugstores. They’re used for removing callouses from the feet, and I don’t see much difference between those for feet and those for sweaters. Perhaps you could check out your local drugstore or grocery store? I’ll be that Whole Foods would have something like that (although it occurs to me that I don’t know if you have Whole Foods in Toronto).

2. I’m Australia/ Kiwi actually. Which is kinda the same thing as British if you go back far enough :-)

3. Michelle says:

FYI: They sell sweater stones at the Container Store…I realize not so helpful for Canadian readers, but could be useful for some of your US readers!

Love the site, read it daily…thanks for keeping me inspired in my pursuit to green my life.

4. D says:

Instead of dryclean, you could hand wash your sweaters. better for the sweaters and the environment :-)

5. E to the M says:

I bet you could pick up a sweater stone at a local knitting shop (like Lettuce Knit)

6. ashley says:

Ooh! Hate those pills. My coat rubs against my sweaters and makes them look AWFUL.
    Some one once suggested a pumice stone or a disposible razor to get them looking good again. :) You could give that a try…teezers might me a little time consuming!

(I’m totally not green and bought a battery opperated sweater shaver – it’s amazing. At least I use rechargable batteries!)

7. Katie says:

You could shave the sweater with whatever razor you have on hand. I watched a friend do this to her 5 year old sweater and when she was done, it looked brand new. All you need is the patience to do it.

8. Rebecca says:

Try your local knitting store. They will have these sweater stones there. I believe there is a shop in Toronto called Lettuce that is great. Check YarnHarlot.com, she lives in Toronto and loves knitting so she’ll have a mention of a good one or two.

9. andsoisigh says:

Eddie Bauer used to sell the sweater stones, I think there’s one at the Eaton Centre

10. andsoisigh says:

Hmmm… I think Restoration Hardware sold them too, but the only one I know of is at Bayview Village and that’s quite a ways from downtown.

11. Caitlin says:

I wouldn’t recommend tweezers. The pills are still connected to the yarn used to make the sweater, so pulling at one with a tweezer could hurt the actual structure of the sweater, if you’re not careful. Plus, it would take forever. I’ve never done it myself, but I’ve heard shaving the sweater with a regular old safety razor works really well. Or, as suggested above, check out one of your local yarn stores– I know there are tons of them in Toronto. If they don’t actually sell the stones, they should at least have some suggestions for you.

Also, drycleaning is never necessary for wool; you can always hand wash instead.

12. pat says:

try a “d.fuzz.it ‘sweater comb.

13. just ducky says:

I guess I’m the only immature reader you have…as I could not get past laughing my butt off at the Spotted Dick reference…all the mature readers are offering helpful comments about the sweater stone and I’m sitting here going “Spotted Dick! Oh my gosh they actually named a dessert–Spotted Dick!”….sad but true.

14. LG Adam says:

I prefer Jam Roly Poly to Spotted Dick, but it’s not quite as funny.

15. Renee says:

I love sweater stones! Some times they emit a weird smell while you are using them but don’t worry, your sweaters wont smell.

I agree that a knitting shop is a great place to look for them.

16. Latanya says:

all the time i used to read smaller content that also clear their motive, and that is
    also happening with this article which I am reading
    here.