Calling all Torontonians (with strong forearms)!

cargo bike

See this cargo bike? Wanna stick a houseplant, a muffin tin and my book collection from Atwood to Dostoevsky in the front basket, then ride it across some streetcar tracks and halfway up the next block? You do?

In that case, come on over for what might just be Toronto’s first green moving party — starting tomorrow at 10 a.m., and continuing through the afternoon, I’ll be gathering a bunch of people to help me go from a condo on Queen St. West to a house less than a block away.

We’ll be using cargo bikes, trolleys and sheer muscle power, no tape or styrofoam, and there’ll be fair-trade hot chocolate served in reusable mugs, green prizes and music!

If you wanna join in the fun, either comment below with your email and I’ll write back with all the details; or just show up on Queen St. W, between Niagara and Strachan, anytime between 10 a.m. and noon and you’ll most likely find us.

16 Responses to Calling all Torontonians (with strong forearms)!

1. Trix says:

Awww…I’m already at work. Good luck though! You’ll need it especially with the winds I was battling on my way into my office this morning.

2. joe says:

Hi Vanessa. I just came across this post after clicking through from the Cyclists Union Bike Magazine Poll on Spacing – while I’d like to help you out, I’ll be working tomorrow – but I posted about your move on BikingToronto.com. :)

I hope it all goes smoothly.

All the best,

Joe.

3. Trix says:

Oh dear, I am clearly in no state to be thinking. This is for tomorrow!!!! I’ll see if I can work something out and have ‘the man’ be kind and let me off for a day.

4. Greenpa says:

We want pictures! We want video! Heck, we’d all like to be there.

Have an absolute blast, and I’ve got fingers crossed for good weather for you.

Haha, thanks Greenpa, but I don’t have high hopes for the weather — today it’s -18 degrees and there are winds up to 90km!! It’s supposed to snow on Friday, but I’m hoping and praying that tomorrow will be some sort of calm, eye-in-the-storm day.

However, on the bright side, there WILL BE VIDEO FOOTAGE! My friend Brandon is an aspiring filmmaker and will be recording it for me, so I’ll bug him to edit it as quick as can be and put it up on YouTube. And I’ll be taking some regular pics as well.

6. blah says:

I really hope your friend Brandon has been making a documentary of your entire year. This would be really interesting. I guess I should have mentioned this on day 2. Sorry. What do you plan to do with the website once this is all over? I would think this would have made an excellent documentary (or book) to show not only the faithful daily contributors out here, but also to that jerk who just bought an H3 Hummer that this is a lifestyle that is more doable than previously thought.

7. Kiblitz says:

Good luck from a devoted reader in Idaho!

8. Hellcat13 says:

I guess driving 4 hours to TO to help you move would kind of cancel out you not getting a moving truck, wouldn’t it? ;)

9. christygriner says:

This green move is very impressive. Best of luck!

10. Teartaye says:

Too far for me to come :(

Skateboards work really well too. I had a friend move all his furniture a block (granted, he didn’t have streetcar tracks in the way) on his skateboards. Much fun!

Good luck! Don’t hurt yourself!

11. Jen says:

Would love to ride the cargo bike but I’m too far away to come help. Have fun!

12. J.R. says:

I have an 8″x4″ bike trailer you can use, but the problem has been the hitch system connecting (heavy) trailer to bike. I think CBN also rents their trailers and they have a relatively universal hitch system — just in case you want green options (beyond peoplepower) for the heavy stuff.

pic of Samba Elegua bike trailer: http://www.pskensington.ca/node/422
    CBN: http://www.pskensington.ca/node/422

Dunno if I can make it tomorrow, but sounds great, have fun!
    J.R.

13. Joe G. says:

Would love to be there to help, but driving up from VA wouldn’t be too quick…
    Best of luck!

14. You really should have gotten more votes in the environmental nutball poll.

15. joe says:

Photos and video would be great! I will happily post whatever on bikingtoronto.com to hopefully inspire others to do some bike-powered moves. :)

16. Patrick says:

Hey – guess you’re busy moving today, but if you have time drop me a line – I’d like to do a post on the move for Green Daily tomorrow.l
    thx