A ridiculous story about a mattress (Day 333)…

mattress

The packing insanity, as you can see from the above photo of my so-called living room, has officially begun. In my quest to make this move as green as possible, I’ve been buying all my furniture used or antique. But recently, I decided to take another leap in this direction:

As I plan on renting out the basement of this house furnished, I need another mattress. Although most people balk at the thought of a used one, a looksee on Craigslist turned up lots of mattresses that had only been used a few times for guests and were purchased as recently as a month ago. Plus, while sleeping on something previously slept on may sound creepy, what’s also creepy is the off-gas that usually accompanies a new mattress. Yes, there are eco-friendly options, but I happen to be broke.

Anyway, I found something I liked on Craiglist and after a few phone calls had agreed to buy a mattress, boxspring and frame for $400. It couldn’t be delivered, so it wasn’t long before I found myself at a U-Haul office in the west end, booking a cargo van with a man named Fred. Making conversation, he asked what I needed the truck for, so I explained the situation and grumbled about having to go all the way to Richmond Hill.

Then he said, “You know, I actually have a queen-sized mattress and boxspring out back that I’m trying to sell — did you want to look at it?” Next thing I know, I’m lying on this mattress in a dark storage room with Fred, thinking it was not the most comfortable thing in the world but would save me having to U-Haul my ass out to the ‘burbs. Then I see he’s got this wicked 50s-era love seat (that’s it, in the pic above), so I ask him if that’s also for sale. He then tells me he’ll give me the mattress, boxspring, frame, love seat AND the whole truck rental for $120.

Best deal ever! Unless of course it has bed bugs or something, but I did as careful an inspection as I could and will be airing it out as much as possible.

23 Responses to A ridiculous story about a mattress (Day 333)…

1. Meow. says:

Woah. That is an AWESOME deal! Good job! That couch is kick ass too.

2. Lloyd Alter says:

eeew that is the ugliest loveseat that I have ever seen and I would burn it with coal and volatile organic compounds before I would let it in my house.

3. Alina says:

I’m breaking my media silence to say:

“Next thing I know, I’m lying on this mattress in a dark storage room with Fred” – hihihihihi.

I know, I’m so immature.

4. blah says:

If you want furniture at a great discount, go online and find the hotels in your area that are selling thier furniture. You can get an entire bedroom set for around $350. When hotels redecorate, they need to get rid of thier furniture fast and they sell it SUPER cheap. Here in Chicago you can get amazing deals on everything from dining tables to accent chairs, to artwork for the walls. If you are decorating a guest room and want to do it on the cheap, I’d highly look into this.

Hahaha, Lloyd, you LOVE it!! And you have no choice but to help me move it on Thursday!

And blah, I am so one step ahead of you on that hotel furniture scene — if you go to my “loving it” page you’ll see the chairs I got re-upholstered; they were from a warehouse that sells old hotel stuff and I got them for about $40 each. I might also look at getting curtains and a door there… literally, this ENTIRE house is going to be furnished with old and/or eco-friendly stuff!

6. pat says:

I’m totally with Lloyd on the couch ( I cant bear to call it a loveseat) and I am only glad that I will not be moving it on thursday!

OK, Lloyd, did I not TELL you my mom would hate it? Hahaha… you guys and your hatred of all things belonging to the golden age….

8. just ducky says:

I haven’t bought a new piece of furniture in years…all the beds in my house came from family, friends, etc. My couch and loveseat came from my mother’s house…my chairs came from the Salvation Army…I feel like I have a “patchwork quilt” of a house, but with two active puppies anything beautiful would have gotten wrecked anyways…

9. Esme says:

My best friend’s parents had a couch exactly like that one. EXACTLY. Its bringing back some very very strange memories.

10. sandy says:

Oh, the drama with the mattresses!

I have chemical allergies, and the thing I hate having to purchase more than ANYTHING is mattresses! Thank goodness you don’t have to get them very often…but still. You should see me explain to the mattress salesman that I WANT the floor model. No. Not the new one in all the plastic. The floor model. Yes. That one. The one that doesn’t stink to high heaven.

Thank goodness we have a great store in Portland, OR where they can help you get things that don’t offgas and you don’t feel like a freak having to explain yourself:

Good luck with the move!

11. Toby says:

I may stand alone, but that loveseat looks particularly awesome

12. Trix says:

Are you getting that loveseat re-upholstered? I am a fan of things particularly ugly, but I don’t know if I can bring that into my place. It can totally work…with a nicer fabric of course, the shape is fantastic.

Ugly is cool now…well according to the hipsters I hang out with, ha-ha.

13. C says:

We had that same loveseat in our house when I was a kid. In fact, we also had the matching hide-a-bed couch that weighed about 3 tons. Sorry to disapoint, but it’s not ala 1950’s… It’s circa 1978 or so. Maybe even early 80’s. I don’t remember how old I was when we bought it. My sisters and I used to get into trouble for trying to put our plates and glasses and snacks on the wood part of the arms and inevitably spilling on the couch cushions.

14. Haha. I love your new couch. I think it is totally funky and cute, but maybe that it indeed the secret hipster inside of me. I could see it in an amazing room with beiges, browns, and ocean blue colors and may a few coral accents. It would be awesome although I suppose it’s not totally environmentally friendly to do lots of re-decorating :)

BTW, I recently started reading your blog and really like it. I added it to my blogroll and look forward to reading more! Thanks!

15. blueseaglass says:

spraying it with a 50%white vinegar 50% water solution will kill lots of germs and nasties. It dries without a scent!

16. Elisabeth says:

Just stopped by, nice blog!

17. abstractbabie says:

Love the couch! The shape is fantastic I’d throw some ethnic orange cushions on it just to make it pop! I’ve just started reading your blog by the way in a bid to be more environmentally friendly myself and your step by step approach is really a big help :D

18. Now That was very entertaining…

19. I really liked your super blog! The info you provide is mind-blowing ! I think im gonna stick around and read about 3 more of your posts. Truly yours

20. Gaylord Bank says:

The intensityof ideas on this site is very enjoyable I believe anybodycanbe inspired from exploring andlearning all the different sources of ideas.

21. dZEtfnKuFqgOMOkfmW 9637

22. I alll the time used to study paragraph in news papers but now as I
    am a user of web so from noww I am using net for posts, thanks to web.