SWF seeks hippie with full set of teeth (Day 180)…

green singles

In case you haven’t noticed from the numerous posts revolving around my cat, my parents and sometimes my friend Meghan — I’m single. It’s OK, I’m totally cool with it. I’m usually a serial monogamist, and often don’t abandon any relationship until I’ve got someone else waiting in the wings, but this time I just did it and truly enjoyed having my own space, playing my own music and eating my own food on my own schedule.

But it’s been almost a year now, so I’ve decided to get back into the dating scene. Part of this challenge, though, is finding others who are attractive and care about the environment, who understand my aversion to plastic and my need for organic tubers but won’t ream me out every time I need to rent a Zip car for groceries. During the course of this bike trip, I managed to get over my aversion to vegans, but I still don’t want to go out with anyone who thinks wine and Advil are the devil’s work, anyone who wears Guatemalan pants, or anyone named Serenity.

So I decided to green my dating slowly and carefully, beginning with GreenSingles.com, which says it’s for the “environmental, vegetarian and animal rights community.” I created a profile, which you can probably find with some digging, and which is probably the most embarrassing thing I’ve ever done in my life. Then I started looking around at all the men on it and saw that in all of Toronto there were about 12, and maybe two of them were near my age. Even when I expanded my search to all of Ontario, it still kept offering me nothing but Owen Wilson lookalikes who declared their religion as “On a spiritual journey.”

I’ve also been trying to attend more green-themed events, such as an anti-styrofoam party a while back at the Gladstone Hotel or the more recent Bicycle Film Festival. As well, I’m hoping to meet some cool people through the Toronto Environmental Volunteers group and various other community gatherings from farmers markets to vegetarian food fairs.

We’ll see how it goes. Mostly, I’m just hoping whoever I end up with can not only pronounce “vermicomposting” but has heard of modern inventions like deodorant and floss.

12 Responses to SWF seeks hippie with full set of teeth (Day 180)…

1. Rete says:

Don’t forget to spread the word to your female friends… I met my soul mate through a blind date set up by my roommate who thought it’d be a great joke to have me spend an evening with a younger guy… Joke’s on her, now!

2. I was forced to remove my profile from greensingles when I kept getting smiled at by a 132 year old man who’s nick name was after an herb that starts with an A used for deep nervous system relaxation and then saw him at the aforementioned bicycle film festival in bicycle shorts.

3. Shawn says:

If wine is the work of the devil then I seriously owe him a favor :)

I feel your pain, but inversely as a single male. I guess I’m not instantly recognizable as eco-anything so I seem to meet women that share none of my ethics. I randomly end up getting junk like, “oh my gawd, what do you mean you don’t want to bbq live pigs in the back of my escalade?!” Or they want to attend the Exxon fundraiser for the annual Republican hunting trip.

Serenity is an awesome name. I used to have a friend named Merlin. I think he was conceived at Woodstock.

4. Cassie says:

Have fun and I am sure you will at least meet some very nice and interesting people along the way! There are many great guys out there who fit the bill, I’m sure of it. :)

Sending you good wishes, Vanessa!

5. Awww, be nice to Owen Wilson, he tried to commit suicide yesterday. :(

I know! I just read that… really sad. Of course I wrote this post yesterday when I had no idea he’d tried to kill himself. Now I feel bad. But not bad enough to rewrite the whole entry. Anyway, you get the general idea of what I meant… just the surf bum, west coast kind of guy.

7. pat farquharson says:

Oh no, not some crumb-filled- bearded guy with worms in his pockets . Could it be someone who OWNS an organic cosmetic company??
    Actually, anyone who has good genes would be fine!

8. ClareSnow says:

Maybe I’m just sexist, but I’ve always thought Serenity was a girl’s name, and I get the impression you’re not into girls. Maybe that’s why you don’t want anyone named Serenity.

Tip re: candidates. This may just cause unecessary work, but my boyfriend was the most un-eco-friendly person the world has even known b4 I met him. Its amazing what he’s willing to do these days, but I am stubborn. At times it’s been difficult converting him, and its an ongoing lifework, but it does make for some entertaining times. We even catch the train together every morning to work.

9. Morgan says:

Vanessa…I agree with ClareSnow..Don’t find some eco -friendly dude…grab up some oil knob and convert him…why preach to the choir!!! :)

10. trudy says:

Hello,

We have added your web address to our database of environmental blogs. Please come by and check out your link and see the location of other environmental bloggers near you as well as across North America. It’s very cool.

Hope to see you soon!

11. Ethicalsingles.com is another green dating site for meeting eco-friendly, vegan, vegetarian and humanitarian singles.

Sign-up and search for free at: