Some new goo for the loo (Day 151)…

toilet bowl cleaner

Not to get too graphic, but this whole let-it-mellow thing doesn’t exactly make for a pristine toilet bowl. So it wasn’t long before I finished up the last of my toxic, abrasive cleaner and had to go find a less cancer-causing alternative. I immediately turned to my new favourite eco-brand, Ecover, which makes a natural product that comes in one of those strategically angled bottles — and I’ll of course refill it if I can find toilet bowl cleaner in bulk. It smells of pine, which I’m not so into, and required slightly more scrubbing, but overall, I’m satisfied.

11 Responses to Some new goo for the loo (Day 151)…

1. limesarah says:

Out of curiosity, what happens if you just run the brush around the toilet every couple of days, right after flushing? I’m kind of wondering if I have a particularly nonstick toilet, because I brush it out at the first sign of stain and it just comes right off and isn’t a chore…I run some soap in it periodically to try to kill some of the nasties, but it doesn’t seem to need it just to look nice.

2. Chile says:

It helps, limesarah, but mine still needs real scrubbing and cleaner at least a couple times a week. ‘Course the toilet in this rental house is a million years old and definitely not “nonstick”. The waste of water from flushing it is one reason I use a portable loo for #1 as much as possible. I dream someday of having a composting toilet or humanure bucket!

3. emily says:

I just caught up on your ‘if it’s yellow’ post, and something occurred to me. When our landlord had to send by a repairman (the toilet talk was tilting dangerously and the floor had become a lake), Mr. Fixit noticed that we had three (yes, 3) bricks in the toilet tank. Hmm, maybe that was what caused the tilt. Anyway, it turned out there was an easy solution. You know that little floater that, when it gets below a certain point, causes the water to fill up? You can apparently change the setting on it so that the toilet just never fills up as much–set the floater lower. Don’t ask me how, but I bet you could find a talented friend or just ask a plumber to come by and do it for you.

Of course, Mr. Fixit still overestimated how much water is needed in order to flush, so we put 2 bricks back in the tank anyways. But at least the water no longer filled up in the bowl and then drained TWICE for each flush!

4. emily says:

Oops, I meant to write that the toilent TANK was tilting. We had 3 bricks in the toilent TANK. Sorry. :)

5. Brad says:

I have been pretty happy with alot of the eco friendly cleaners, but some of them I have found just don’t clean. I know you post is about the toilet cleaner but thought I would see if you have noticed this with this cleaner or any of your others.

The diswasher fluid for me never cleaner the dishes, it was resulting in me have to the run it twice sometimes three times, Or at least pre-wash everything which ruins the benefit of a dishwasher.

So was wondering if you or anyone else has noticed that you are having to put alot more work into cleaning and end up using more of the product with some of the eco friendly cleaners.

6. CC says:

for a low cost alternative, I’ve read about putting some baking soda into the bowl followed by vinegar and then swish the brush around … works well for me. The only warning was not to do this in conjunction with commercial cleaners because there can be harmful fumes.

7. E to the M says:

I’ve been pretty happy with Ecover products. We currently use that laundry soap, delicate wash laundry soap, dish soap, etc. Like Brad I don’t use the automatic dishwashing powder any more because I find it doesn’t clean well.

8. sue says:

After I scrubbed the toliet till it sparkled, I just swished it out and wiped it off everyday with vinegar and/or a little shampoo on a wipe. I have boys, so I have to keep after it daily. But I was able to give up on special toliet bowl cleaners.

9. emily says:

Can buy the essence of vinegar anywhere in the U.S? The smell is awful but boy, does it clean better than the wimpy 5% stuff that you can also put on salads. I’ve used it for toilets, sinks, and even things like getting calcium deposits off kitchen appliances. It only takes a very small quantity.

10. vanessa says:

i have found that borax and a toilet brush do the trick.

11. aiyj bncp says:

gthelnoc lxdkn kofbgc mqzbao rxapouj fgaskvodq eyqxvnail