Razing awareness (Day 57)…

shaving

Recently, I wrote about how I’m investing in laser hair removal (and blushed the entire post, so the details will not be getting repeated here). But because I can’t afford to get every inch of me zapped, I still need to shave my legs. After a long Canadian winter, the pump mechanism on my old can of shaving cream had succumbed to rigor mortis, which made for a perfect opportunity to toss it — in the recycling bin, of course — and invest in a natural alternative.

I went for the fragrance-free version by Kiss My Face, partly because I hadn’t yet tried any of this brand’s products and was curious to test them out, but mostly because it was the cheapest one on the shelf.

Although it’s not nearly as fun as using the gel stuff that magically turns into foam as you spread it around, it was fine. I can’t quite say whether or not I’d recommend it for more sensitive areas like the face or, well, other sensitive areas. To be honest, my calves are a little too far away for me to care much whether they’re itchy, rashy or stubbly (this logic might also explain why I’m in desperate need of a pedicure).

Punny headline courtesy of the PunGents

16 Responses to Razing awareness (Day 57)…

1. nichole says:

I love Kiss My Face lime flavored shave stuff. BUT, I have been having random itchy spots on my legs. I never made a correlation between the itchy and the product until this post. hmmm… I’ll have to experiment.

2. Alina says:

Speaking of, whats the environmental veredict on waxing? I stopped shaving my legs in favour of waxing a couple of years ago and there’s no turnung back… I really hate stuble. And I didn’t understand, is that stuff to use with a razor or is it the stuff that dissolves your hair (and part of your skin along with it)?

3. Lynn says:

Not too long ago, I found out about what might probably be an eco-friendly waxing method. It’s called ‘sugaring’ and apparently, you can just mix up sugar, lemon juice, and water to make the wax. Unless you’re stripping entire sugarcane fields or harvesting thousands of lemons for your personal waxing purposes, it sounds okay to me. Thoughts, anyone?

4. Evan says:

At my house, we all love the Kiss My Face Olive Oil bar soap. We use it for everything! I wash my hair with it, lather my body in the shower and it’s great to shave with. I find that I don’t need to apply a moisturizer after the shower now, too. So I’ve eliminated or traded five products for one bar of soap that costs about $3 US. My husband doesn’t shave with it, he prefers a shaving bar made by Burt’s Bees. My three-year-old uses it at bath time, too. It’s great. One large bar lasts at least a month and comes in a paper wrapper. We minimize the plastic that we buy and recycle and our hair and skin are really soft. Oh and it smells great and no need to worry about hidden toxins.

5. Linda says:

One of the most economical shave lubricants is regular, cheapo hair conditioners. No skin irritation, and it can be used ‘everywhere.’ Save money on razors by rinsing them well to remove the hair, then storing them blade downward in isopropol alcohol… it removes the skin oils and soap scum that are really what ‘dull’ the blades, making them permanent possessions instead of disposable. Just a note, though — it will also soak off the glue holding on whatever ‘strip’ was added to the item.

As for the waxing question, leg wax may be filtered and re-used (salons have high overheads and often do squirrelly things to save money), but bikini wax is used once and discarded.

6. Morgan says:

Just to build on this…can anyone recommend a good razor that you can replace just the blades rather than the whole body of the razor? I was given a huge bag of Gillette disposables that I’ve been going through (I even break the heads off and recycle the body of it!)…but I’d like to get a good, permanent solution, where the blades are changed and recycled…

Any thoughts?

7. Lou says:

I love the Kiss My Face shaving goo. I actually found that it gave me a closer shave than shaving cream and it never irritated my skin. I use it for *all* areas and no troubles. I’m also interested in a permanent solution to the disposable razor problem as I don’t love waxing and can’t afford laser hair removal.

8. Morgan says:

Hey everyone…I found this page about razors…there are links at the bottom to actual products…

Here is a whole list of razors with replaceable blades…no plastic parts…could last for ever!

9. Angela says:

Just use a gentle environmental soap. I don’t bother buying ‘special’ razor creams/lotions anymore and I don’t miss them either. You really don’t need them – it’s a con! Also if you buy soap you avoid having to buy yet another cosmetic container made out of plastic. I don’t think you need to find any particular special soap either – although my current favourite is by Anti-body – they make a great range of soaps! See: http://www.anti-body.com/

10. christal says:

valerie-
    kiss my face uses PARABENS in the shave line. these are hormone inhibitors that have been linked to cancer. please research this. parabens are typically used as a preservative, but NOT necessary at all. look at the ewg.org website.
    thanks. \
    as for razors….. get a PRESERVE razor from recycline. they have refillable blades, and they come with a mailer to recycle the razor and blades once you are done with it.

11. dustybanjo says:

My husband gave his granpa’s ole straight razor a whirl. And my dad donated his old razor strop to the cause. I note my dear husband didn’t use this system for too long… In his words: “it will take a lot of practice. At best it’s a bad shave, at worst it’s a scarring experience.”

12. NoMoreHair says:

If you’ve decided to eliminate the unwanted hair by using the laser hair removal technique you may be wondering how long a laser hair removal session does last. Each laser beam treats a specific surface of about two square centimeters with ten hair follicles. The duration of each laser session usually depends on the surface of the skin to be treated. Laser hair removal on small areas such as the lip or the chin usually takes a few minutes, whereas the treatment of a larger area like a leg or a thigh needs between twenty to fifty minutes.

13. Laser Body Waxing

Information on Body Waxing

14. I am glad I had a chance to read your message, if you have more vein thearpy information elsewhere let me know or post it here.

15. Nancy says:

I use extra virgin olive oil as a shaving cream and it works fine.