Kermit was probably right…

… when he sat down on that grassy knoll and crooned, “It’s not that easy being green.” But he actually wraps it up on a note of optimism: “Green can be cool and friendly-like / and green can be big like an ocean, or important like a mountain, or tall like a tree.”

If there’s anything I learned from Sesame Street, it’s that you can always trust a frog (and also, large birds frighten me). So after years of turning my nose up at hemp this and tempeh that, recklessly throwing plastic water bottles in the garbage and blowing my nose with entire sheets of paper towel, I’ve decided that maybe, as long as I’m not too self-righteous about it, I can make my life a little greener and hopefully not lose all my friends and family in the process.

Starting as of March 1, 2007, I’ll be spending each and every day finding some way to minimize my ecological footprint — whether it’s a big thing like giving up my car for the weekend, or a small thing like switching brands of toilet paper — and then I’ll write about whether it was easy, challenging, or seriously made me consider buying a Hummer for the sole purpose of running over the nearest hippy.

I hope you find this blog helpful/amusing/procrastination-worthy — just remember, I’m pretty green at going green, so forgive my whining when it comes to Day#276 and I break down, drowning myself in sweatshop-special hoodies and unfair-trade coffee.

7 Responses to Kermit was probably right…

1. Matt says:

Speechless, really.

I swear this foie gras and that bottle of red are both bio..

2. Emma says:

Good Idea. It’s about time someone normal write about going green.

3. Jason says:

Great idea for a blog, and lifestyle I suppose. I’ve had a similar idea floating around in my head about healthy decisions in my life and documenting one a week or something, but doing it on the daily is quite a commitment. I wish you the best of luck, and look forward to reading.

4. Jak says:

ps. any link to subscribe to the blog via email?

5. Vanessa says:

Hey Jason (Jak?) — I’m still trying to figure out this blogging thing (SO late to the party, I know), and when I tried to add the RSS widget so people could subscribe via email, it didn’t work. But I promise I’ll have it up in no time and get back to you!

Thanks for coming to visit… to be honest, I don’t know how on earth I’m going to manage a daily post (especially on hungover Sundays), but I’m keeping my green thumbs crossed that it’ll come together somehow :)

6. Hi Vanessa. Great concept for a blog, we need more people to dive in and trying living a more sustainable life.

I invite you to give Fivelimes.com a spin, it might help you on your journey. It’s my web startup that is focused on connecting people who are ‘going green’ (we’re based in Toronto). Of course a big part of going green is buying the right products and so our site has focused on the concept of collaborative shopping as step 1. Let me know what you think.

Regards,
    Chris (CEO FIvelimes)

7. Kara says:

Sorry I’m a total jerk but Kermit was actually from the Muppets, not Sesame Street XD